Monday, January 23, 2017

Dr. Faulkner: Do You Love Your Job?

Perhaps no single person has had more impact over the last 45 years than Steve Jobs.  In recent biopics he has been praised and vilified.  He was a unique individual with very human frailties.  His contributions to the technology have forever changed our lives and those in future generations.

He was also an adept communicator.  An article by Minda Zetlin in Inc. Magazine  shared 10 quotes that Jobs had used in a variety of presentations.  The two that stuck out to me are:

“For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself:  ‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I’m about to do today?’  And whenever the answer has been no for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.”

“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.”

In short, do you love your job?

When I interviewed to become the President of Vol State I responded to a question about employee relations by sharing some research from SUNY that appeared in USA Today.  There are three types of employees – those that have a job, those that have a career, and those that have a calling.

People with a job are doing what they do to earn money to do the things they really want to do.  Certainly there is an element of that in all of us.  I know I am really attracted to eating regular and living indoors.

People with a career are doing what they do because of social and promotional opportunities.  Their employment places them in high regard by their peers and is a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

And then those that have a calling are doing what they do because they love what they do.  They feel they are making a difference and receive personal gratification (beyond the paycheck) in what they do.

Those that have a job or a career are externally motivated while those who have a calling are internally motivated. 

I hope everyone at Vol State doesn’t have too many of those days when you answer, “No,” and that you can say you love your calling.

-Dr. Jerry Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment