Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Biking for Newbies

Riding a bike may have been easy when you were a kid, but now...can old people even ride bikes? The first answer is that nearly everyone can ride a bike. The second answer is that you are not old.  If you haven't been on a bike in a while, you should consider taking to two wheels for health and for fun.

"I was a little nervous," said Len Assante, who started biking again last year. "I didn't know if I was going to fall off. They say you never forget and it was like that. I wobbled a little bit and then it was just like old times."

Members of the Vol State bike club, known as the Pedaling Pioneers, want to help you get started. They're holding a lunch and learn on Wednesday, September 8 starting at noon in the Nichols Dining Room. It's called Cycling 101 - How Do I Get Started? The club does regular rides, designed for the returning bicyclist. They used those rides to get ready for the Vol State Cycling Classic last year, where they rode as a team. That next event will be held in May, so you have plenty of time to get ready.

"When you first ride with a group you don't know the skill differences between people," Assante said. "Is everyone going to be better than me and faster than me? That turned out not to be an issue. I thought it would be more fun to bike by myself. That that's not true. It's more fun to ride with a group."

We hope to see an even bigger Vol State group in May at the Cycling Classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment