Monday, August 31, 2015

Be A Tn Promise Mentor!

There are plenty of reasons to be a TN Promise Mentor. I took part in the program last year and it was rewarding to help high school students set a clear path through college. I had students who were confused by the differences between TCATs, community colleges and universities. I had several who had no idea what programs Vol State offered. I helped them to find the path that was right for them and stay on track with what they needed to do in the TN Promise program.

The Tennessean had a good article today explaining the importance of mentors to TN Promise.

There is no doubt in my mind that the best mentors out there are people who work at a community college or TCAT. You already have a base of knowledge about higher ed that most people don't have. Put that knowledge to an even greater good - consider being a TN Promise mentor this coming school year. I have signed-up again. The sign-up has been extended. It only takes a couple of minutes to sign-up and only a couple of hours a month to participate. Here is the sign-up page.

-Eric Melcher

No comments:

Post a Comment