Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Dr. Faulkner: Nostalgia

I recently attended a meeting in Clarksville.  Driving down a street there I passed McReynolds - Nave and Larson Funeral home.  Parked in the front drive was a shiny red 1957 Chevrolet ambulance. I was reminded of the time in my life when all the ambulance services were run by the local mortuary and not by the fire-department or a municipal emergency department. It got me in a nostalgic frame of mind.  I thought about many things that were true in my childhood and early adult life and how the "younger" generation doesn't even know about them.

This reminded me of the Beloit College Mind Set List. Each August since 1998, Beloit College has released the Beloit College Mindset List, providing a look at the cultural touchstones that shape the lives of students entering college each fall. The list is prepared by Beloit’s former Public Affairs Director Ron Nief and Keefer Professor of the Humanities Tom McBride.

So I concluded I would prepare my own nostalgia list.  I have to warn you that if you remember all these things you may need to join me in old foggy land.

So do you remember. . . .

Ambulances were run by the local funeral home? 
Police cars did not have blue lights?
How to play Far Away with Coke bottles?
The Three Stooges?
The name of Roy Rogers' horse?
Needing Butch Wax to maintain your flat top?
If the car was really full you could always put a kid on the shelf behind the back seat?
Someone had to get up and walk across the room to change the TV channel?
A party line had nothing to do with a celebration?
If you wanted to look up something you went to the encyclopedia or dictionary?
The Sears -Roebuck catalog was the only way to shop without going to the store?
Teachers had paddles that had nothing to do with boating?
The only music in your car was AM or YOU?
Tennis shoes only came in black or white?
A nine volt transistor radio made music portable.
The initial release of the Hula-Hoop, Slinky, and Silly Putty.
The device you used to make a call actually looked like the phone icon on your smart device.
Grocery items had a price instead of a bar code.
It was all about Hi-fi not Wi-fi.

A trip down memory lane is fun, but I don't want to live there because some of the good old days weren't really all that good.

-Dr. Jerry Faulkner


No comments:

Post a Comment