Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A Fire-Rescue Alumna and Her Assistant Police Chief Daughter


Kim Lawson is an alumna success story. She graduated with a Paramedic certificate in 1981 and then an associate of applied science degree from Vol State in 1994. Now, after 34 years with the Nashville Fire Department, retiring at the rank of Deputy Chief, Lawson has stepped back into the world of first responders as the new assistant chief of medical services for the Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue Department.

“I just can’t stop. I can’t help myself. I love it,” she said. “I’ve had a great career in Nashville. I frankly love the job and so when this opportunity in Murfreesboro came up I knew that was what I wanted to do. I spent most of my career in EMS, it’s my passion.”

Lawson says that part of the attraction for the new position was in developing a growing EMS division in Murfreesboro. “We’re stepping it up to a higher level for our firefighters to be able to do advanced medical techniques. We work hand-in-hand with Rutherford County EMS. But we need to look forward to the future.”

That future is coming up quickly in the booming Murfreesboro area. More people moving to the area means more medical calls.

Firefighting and Emergency Medical Services are a big part of the Lawson family. Which is why Kim’s daughter, Angie Lawson is a bit of a renegade.

“Her father is a firefighter. Her brother is a firefighter,” said Kim. “She comes from a fire department family. She’s still kind of in the area of public safety.”

Mom says the last bit with a smile. She’s clearly quite proud of her police officer daughter.  And therein lies another Vol State tie. Angie Lawson is the Assistant Chief of Police at the College.

“I did attempt to go into fire at one point,” said Angie. “My parents are the most supportive. Anything I want to do they support me 100 percent. Once I got more involved in policing, a lot of investigators said I had a knack for it.”

Angie did talk to her mom when considering the Vol State position. “I knew she had graduated from here,” Angie said. “It was a good move for me professionally. As always, I looked to my mom for advice.”

The long-time rivalry between police and firefighters notwithstanding, Angie sees plenty of similarities in public service. “I still think that’s the biggest thing for me about law enforcement. There’s so much community service we can do. We’re really pushing our community policing forward here at Vol State.”

While the firefighting tradition may have taken a slightly different turn for the family, the Vol State tradition certainly continues. Kim’s other daughter, Tara, is a current Vol State student. Angie is considering taking classes in the fall. And Mom wants to take EMS refresher courses at Vol State later this year.

1 comment:

  1. So admirable! I'm proud to know Kim Lawson. She's a rock solid, dedicated, interesting and fun personality. We're all lucky that she and her family choose to serve!

    ReplyDelete