Monday, January 27, 2014

Dr. Faulkner: More Butterflies

I hope everyone remembers the Walt Disney quote I shared during my first convocation address.  “If nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies.”  I found that quote on a plaque at Cracker Barrel.  The plaque now sits prominently on my desk.

This weekend I made a new find at Cracker Barrel.  I purchased a small book titled, A Butterfly’s View of Life.  Eat, Sleep, Fly by Maryjo Koch.  It too will be on my desk should any wish to see it.  It is a small book of reproductions of Ms. Koch’s watercolor paintings of butterflies.  It also contains some additional quotes regarding butterflies.  Two of my favorites from the books are:

"To become a butterfly, you must want to fly so much that you’re willing to give up being a caterpillar."

"Most of us change, not because we see the light, but because we feel the heat!"

So I ask myself, what am I willing to give up in order to experience the possibilities of the future?  Will I give up routine and habit?  Will I give up the comfort of the status quo?  Will I give up stability to experience disruption?  Will I give up the old for the taste of the new?  And what will motivate me to change – heat or light?

Sometimes I feel like the old hippie in the Bellamy Brothers song by the same title:

'Cause he's an old hippie
And he don't know what to do
Should he hang on to the old
Should he grab on to the new.

One of the often touted advantages of community colleges is our ability to respond quickly to changing needs.  We currently serve in an environment of rapid change not only in our service area but on the state and national stage.

So, my challenge is for each of us to ask these introspective questions so we can be ready when the inevitable changes come our way.

-Dr. Jerry Faulkner


No comments:

Post a Comment