Thursday, October 31, 2013

Maxine Bowden Remembered


Maxine Bowden worked in many different offices during her fifteen years at Vol State. She was a secretary in the Center of Emphasis, Office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs and the Distance Learning Office. She died recently after a long illness.

“Maxine was a joy to work with and brought a smile to everyone who crossed her path,” said former co-worker Mary Nunaley. “She was passionate about her work and her family and always had a kind word to say, even on days when she was not feeling well, she always thought about how everyone else was feeling and doing. She was not just a colleague but a friend.”

Maxine was an inspiration to me,” said Laurette Nuckols. “I admired her courage and strength through all the battles she had.  She was a dear friend and I will miss her.”

Laurette and Maxine attended Gallatin High School together. Maxine was a cheerleader. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005. She went through many rounds of chemotherapy and radiation. Maxine finally received a stem cell implant at Duke University.

“When I was in the hospital with my heart surgery, I knew it was nothing next to her illness,” said Laurette. “I’m heartbroken, but I know she is in a better place.”

A Memorial Service will be held for Maxine on Saturday, November 2 at 1 p.m. The location is the Zion Upper Room Apostolic Faith Church, 365 N. Blakemore Street, Gallatin, TN  37066

615-452-5704.

No comments:

Post a Comment