Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Daring Adventure

A few years ago Wanda and I visited Ivy Green, the birthplace of Helen Keller. I remembered the story of the young girl who because of illness became both deaf and blind at the age of 19 months.  It was somewhat surreal to stand at the well pump where Anne Sullivan broke through the silent and dark world of Helen to teach her the first word, w-a-t-e-r.  Having seen both versions of the film, “The Miracle Worker” the scene played out in my mind.  Miss Keller went on to graduate cum laude from Radcliffe College and to become an internationally known advocate for the deaf and blind.

I was reminded of the story and the visit when I recently read a quote from Helen Keller.  “Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.”  This young woman dared to venture beyond the limitations that fate had dealt her and went on to accomplish great things.
 
Where will I dare to venture this year?  Where will you?  It is easy to retreat to our comfort zones – to fall back on routine and habit.  But what opportunities and experiences will we miss?
And so I issue to you a call to arms against complacency.  I challenge myself and you to face toward change, to innovate, to experiment, to demonstrate strength undefeatable.

-Dr. Jerry Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment